Sunday, June 12, 2011

2012, Revelations and Prophecy - Part I

Lately, the most frequent question I get asked (other than, "so how's school going?") is, "so what do you think is going to happen in 2012.  I get asked this, I suppose, because I make no bones about initiating conversations with people about various topics of a conspiratory nature.  It would make sense that someone would jump from a topic like what really happened on 9/11 to whether the world will end on Dec 21, 2012, right?  Well, of course that's a huge leap isn't it? Yet, this happens more often than not, and especially with people, who are not completely familiar with my ecclectic book collection or who is not my FB friend.  So how do we make that connection, time and time again?  My answer is that subliminally we know that "times, they are a changin'", but most of us haven't put the pieces together to find out why.

The other day, a woman I work with asked me if I believed we were in the "end times".  Why, yes (for about 85 billion years), I replied, and asked her what else she might want to know about what I know.  She asked me about what I thought was going on in the middle east and of course I couldn't go into that much detail in 20 minutes as I would have liked, but I gave her some perspectives she could consider.

Prophetically speaking there is a lot more available to us to help us analyze the times than there was in my parents generation.  Simply go to any bookstore (online or otherwise) and type in prophesy and you will have more choice than you can shake a stick at.  Recently, I've started to examine what ancient cultures had to say on the subject and have found that they too felt they were in the "end times" as well.

In the Holy Bible, John received divine messages about the end of the world, and was told to shut them up until mankind could understand them.  It is supposed by bible prophesy experts that it is only in this time of vast knowledge and the internet that we are able to properly interpret the signs. Let's consider Revelations 13.  Here, this chapter tells of the lawlessness of the earthly kingdoms the rise of the Antichrist and his deception over man:
3. And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast. 
4. And they worshipped the dragon which gave power to the beast and they worshipped the beast saying, Who is like unto the beast? Who is able to make war with him?
5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.
6. And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.

For some, the events described in the above verses are a checklist, for others, a vague guideline as to what the world will be like in the "End Times"
I can truly say we are in the strangest times our world has ever seen, a time when we are relying on technology to provide the answers to our questions and a time when we are relying on the stories and archaeological evidence of our past to tell us more about our uncertain future.

No comments:

Post a Comment